Family says contractor turned their home into a danger zone

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORTHGLENN, Colo. -- A family is living in a horrendous situation after a contractor left their home with exposed wires.

America Almeida works hard and wants to provide a good home for her family, but said she ended up trusting the wrong contractor to do what should have been a basic job.

She contacted the FOX31 Problem Solvers for help.

Almeida said she paid NCHS Contracting $18,000 on a job quoted at $23,000, but the project was never finished.

She describes her home as a fire hazard, with electrical wiring that goes to the kitchen disposal exposed, other wiring elements exposed and the return for the bathroom sink covered in drywall.

Almeida explained that she now faces a lawsuit for not paying the remainder of the bill, even though the work is not finished.