2 injured, dog rescued in Lakewood house fire caused by smoking

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEWOOD, Colo. -- Two people were injured and a dog was rescued after a house caught fire on Tuesday night, West Metro Fire said.

The fire started in the garage of the home in the 12200 block of West New Mexico Avenue by smoking, fire officials said.

Four people were inside and two went to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Investigators said it's likely the people inside the house didn't know it was on fire because the 911 call came from neighbors.

The roof of the garage was completely destroyed and the home suffered extensive damage. Two vehicles also were burned.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.