Chef Natalie Schwab, the culinary demonstrator for Johnson & Wales University, shows us how to make Grilled Seafood Paella.
Fresh ingredients are provided by King Soopers.
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1/2 small sweet onion, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
· 4 oz. chorizo, sliced
· 1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
· 1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, sliced
· 1/4 cup white wine
· 2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
· 4 cups chicken broth
· 2 small skinless chicken thighs or breast, chopped into 1 inch cubes
· 1/3 cup green olives
· 1 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
· 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
· Pinch of saffron
· 16 oz. fresh seafood (I used 1 lobster tail, 6 jumbo shrimp, 4 clams, and 4 mussels)
· Juice of 2 lemons
· Fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- Preheat your grill to high heat.
- Place a very large cast iron skillet (it should be at least a 12-inch circle or oval skillet) on the grill grates. Allow the skillet to heat with the grill. Once the skillet is hot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring often or until the onion is soft and sweet. Add the chorizo and cook until just browned, about 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes (crushed by your hands if using canned), their juices and roasted red peppers. Continue cooking another 5 minutes.
- Add the wine to deglaze the pan and then stir in the rice, cooking until toasted, about 3-5 minutes. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and give everything a good stir. Slide in the chicken, green olives, paprika, another pinch of salt and pepper and a good pinch of saffron. Stir gently to combine, cover tightly with the skillet top or tin foil and then place the lid on the grill. Grill covered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the seafood in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. Carefully remove the skillet top or foil and add the seafood to the skillet. Cover again with the top or the foil and return the grill lid, continue cooking another 15 minutes or until the seafood is cooked through and the rice is fluffy.
- Remove the skillet from the grill and drizzle the dish with lemon juice. Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper. Garnish with fresh parsley.