Fort Collins family of 6 displaced by house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- A family of six and their pets escaped after a fire broke out in the garage of a home on Sunday morning, the Poudre Fire Authority said.

The initial call came in about 7:40 a.m. and the fire was brought under control by 8:30 a.m., fire officials said.

The six family members, their dogs and two cats were not injured.

Investigators believe the fire was accidentally started from improper disposal of hot ashes. The fire started in the garage and spread to the attic.

The Poudre Fire Authority said ashes must be disposed of in a metal can with a tight-fitting lid that can be kept on a noncombustible surface.

The Poudre Fire Authority’s Customer Assistance Response Team and the American Red Cross coordinated to assist the family with clothes and temporary lodging.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.