Lakewood business owner loses everything after police chase ends with arson

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAKEWOOD, Colo. -- The man accused of injuring two officers and setting a building on fire while trying to evade police in Lakewood on Friday has been identified.

Police say 28-year-old Brandon Besson is in jail facing at least five charges for the wild chase that sent two offers to the hospital and put several innocent victims in harm’s way.

Brandon Besson, 28, has been arrested in connection with an incident that injured 2 officers.

Brandon Besson, 28, has been arrested in connection with an incident that injured 2 officers.

“He got all the way across the street. He dodged like four to five cops,” neighbor Rachael Coleman said.

Besson was then tackled by officers and arrested.

"He was willing to do anything,” Coleman said.

"Stupid decision that affects innocent people that are trying to do things right for their lives and work for a living,” said Chris Torres, the owner GTA Home Restoration, the business that was set on fire.

It started about 4 p.m. Friday when an officer pulled over Besson for a traffic violation near West 14th Avenue and Lamar Street.

Police said Besson fled down 14th, dragging an officer for a short distance.

"He ran in the back door and went into the first room,"  Torres said.

Ditching his car several blocks away, police said Besson ran into a building on Saulsbury Street.

"Nobody in the building knew what was going on,” Torres said.

Torres said three of his employees were inside when Besson ran in and started the fire.

"They just realized all of a sudden there were cops outside yelling and they were at gunpoint and then inside of the building was on fire,” he said.

A fire was intentionally set by Besson, according to police, and with the flames spreading, Besson attempted his escape.

"I mean everything is gone pretty much,” Torres said of his business.

Charred walls, melted doors and shredded drywall show the extent of the damage that Torres said he just spent months remodeling.

"Paperwork, desks, computers, my taxes, all kinds of employee files,” he said.

Besson is in jail being held for second-degree assault, arson, burglary, eluding and attempted first-degree murder.

"I think that’s a very fit charge at the least,” Torres said.

Torres said he’s just glad everyone’s OK. Now the rebuilding begins.

"He was definitely not a very good citizen," Torres said.

Police are still investigating what led Besson to flee and start the fire. But he did have three felony warrants out for his arrest at the time of the traffic stop.