Father, son rescue two people from northeast Denver house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- A father and son are being credited for saving their neighbors' lives after a fire broke out at a home Saturday afternoon.

Fred Edmonds and his son were driving home when they saw smoke from a house in the 3600 block of Ivanhoe Street. They also heard screams coming from the house.

"My first instinct was really to just go up inside the house and see why someone was screaming," Edmonds said.

He did that while his 12-year-old son called 911.

"We go inside the house and we noticed there was smoke everywhere," Edmonds said. "There's a young lady screaming at one door for somebody and she said 'My mother's in the other room.' So I open up the door and smoke and fire just pour out of the room, in the ceilings and on the walls.

Edmonds said he carried one of the women out of the house, then went back in to rescue the other woman, who had been looking for her door. All of them, including the dog, got out before flames engulfed the first floor.

The two women were taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. The fire started in a back bedroom, according to the Denver Fire Department.

Edmonds said he didn't think much before he acted.

"It's the right thing to do. These are our neighbors," he said. "I just think in this world people need to look out for each other.

"What a hero," said Edmonds' son when asked what he thought about his dad's actions. "I guess he's just that kind of person. He cares about his community."

Edmonds said he's glad he was able to be a good role model for his son.

 

 

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.