Suspect who shot at deputy found dead in home after 11-hour standoff

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. -- A man who barricaded himself late Sunday night after firing a single shot at deputies ended Monday morning when he was found dead inside the home after a nearly 11-hour standoff, the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said.

The man was barricaded in the home off East Hampden Avenue near Himalaya Street, and the SWAT team from the sheriff's office had the home surrounded throughout the night.

After the man did not reply to continuous demands to surrender, the SWAT team entered the home in the 20400 block of East Hampden Place about 7:45 a.m. and found him dead.

The sheriff's office said the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office will identify the man after next of kin is notified.

The sheriff's office said deputies were making a welfare check just before 9 p.m. and as they approached the house, a single shot was fired at them. Deputies did not return fire and they retreated to call in more resources.

No one was hit by the shot, the sheriff's office said. No one else was inside the home.

Emergency calls were made to homes in the neighborhood and several homes in the immediate area were evacuated.

About 5:45 a.m., several loud bangs were heard at the scene that were later confirmed as tear gas grenades.

Hampden Avenue was shut down in both directions between South Himalaya Street and South Liverpool Street during the standoff. It reopened just after 8 a.m.

The sheriff's office was assisted by the Aurora and Greenwood Village police departments, and the Cunningham Fire Protection District.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.