DENVER -- Chief Meteorologist Dave Fraser featured grilled BBQ chicken pizza, along with grilled peach and blueberry summer salad and patriotic popsicle ice cream sandwiches. Cooking expert Natalie Thompson from Johnson & Wales University joined Dave to prepare the food.
Fresh ingredient were provided by King Soopers.
The recipes appear below.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Pre-made Pizza Dough (find in prepared foods section of your local King Soopers)
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tablespoons of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 cup cooked, sliced chicken breast (about one 8-ounce breast)
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Allow pre-prepared pizza dough to rise according to package instructions.
- Preheat your grill to med-high heat.
- Toss 2 Tablespoons of BBQ sauce with the cooked, chopped chicken to coat it. Set aside.
- Roll or stretch your pizza dough to form a round, set aside.
- Using a basting brush, gently brush the bottom of your pizza dough, as well as brushing the grates of your grill with olive oil. Place oiled side of dough directly onto your grill. Allow to cook 1-2 minutes, depending on the thickness of your pizza crust.
- Using your basting brush oil the top side of your pizza dough and flip over. Allow to cook 1-2 additional minutes.
- Top the crust with the BBQ sauce. Add more or less BBQ sauce depending on your taste. Then layer on the shredded mozzarella, BBQ-coated chicken, shredded gouda, then the onion slices. Turn the heat down and allow to cook until cheese has melted and pizza has heated through.
- Top hot pizza with fresh cilantro. Slice pizza and serve immediately.
Grilled Peach and Blueberry Summer Salad
For the dressing
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 3 ripe local Colorado peaches, cut into halves, pits removed
- Fresh arugula( 8-10 cups)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup Marcona almonds ( or regular almonds if you can’t find Marcona in your local grocery store. )
- 2 oz. fresh goat cheese
- First, make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Lightly brush the peach halves with the dressing. Preheat the grill to high heat. Place peaches, cut side down, on the hot grill. Grill for about 5 minutes, or until the peaches are soft and have grill marks. Remove peaches from the grill, cool to room temperature and slice.
- Place arugula, sliced grilled peaches, blueberries, almonds, and fresh goat cheese in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with salad dressing. Gently toss and serve immediately.
Patriotic Popsicle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 box store bought ice cream sandwiches
- Patriotic sprinkles, red, white & blue
- Popsicle sticks
- Place popsicle sticks into ice cream sandwiches and re-freeze until firm.
- Pour sprinkles onto a plate.
- Working quickly to keep ice cream from melting, place ice cream exposed edges to the sprinkles gently pressing the sprinkles into the ice cream. Repeat for remaining popsicles.
- Place ice cream sandwich popsicles back into the freezer until time to serve them.