When it comes to great produce, this is the best time of summer, thanks to Olathe sweet corn, Rocky Ford cantaloupes and those juicy Palisade peaches. Registered Dietician, Mara Mcguin, from King Soopers brings us some super tasty, peachy treats! See recipes below:
Peach & Avocado Salsa
- 1 ½ cups fresh peaches, diced
- 1 firm, but ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ small jalapeño, minced
- Juice of 1 lime, about 3 tablespoons
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutrition Info per serving: 50 calories, 4 grams fat, 0.5 grams saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg sodium, 1 gram protein, 6 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams dietary fiber
- 2 ounces Kroger Cream Cheese & Greek Yogurt
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 fresh peach
- Mint leaves
- Your choice of bread or cracker
- Mix cream cheese/Greek yogurt with honey in small bowl.
- Spread one teaspoon onto toast/cracker.
- Top with peach slice and sprig of mint. Enjoy!
Nutrition Info per serving: 35 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 1 gram protein, 4 grams carbohydrate, 0 grams dietary fiber, 45 milligrams sodium
Peach-Stuffed French Toast Bowls
6 slices whole-grain bread
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium peaches, diced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Gently flatten bread slices with a rolling pin to about ¼ -inch thick.
- In a flat-bottomed bowl, lightly beat eggs, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- One at a time, soak the bread slices in the egg mixture for 10 seconds per side, letting excess drip off.
- Gently press each slice into a separate cup on a jumbo-sized muffin tin, forming a cup shape.
- Bake until the bread is crisp, about 14 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- Meanwhile, stir together the yogurt and vanilla extract in a small bowl.
- Divide the peaches and blueberries among the French toast cups and top with vanilla yogurt.
- If desired, drizzle with maple syrup or stir 1 teaspoon maple syrup into the yogurt.
Nutrition Info per serving: 170 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated fat, 145 milligrams cholesterol, 10 grams protein, 26 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams dietary fiber, 140 milligrams sodium
Peach Pie Smoothie
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- Whole flaxseeds for garnish (optional)
- Put all ingredients, except for whole flaxseeds, in a blender.
- Blend thoroughly, or until the smoothie reaches desired consistency.
- Garnish with whole flaxseeds (optional).
Nutrition Info: 12o calories, 0 grams fat, 0 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 8 grams protein, 24 grams carbohydrate, 1 grams dietary fiber, 55 milligrams sodium