Pinpoint Weather Alert Day: Frigid cold, icy roads

Coroner: Father, son died of carbon monoxide poisoning in tent, not lightning strike

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A Flight for Life helicopter at the scene where a father and son were killed near Maroon Bells on July 16, 2015. (Photo: Darlene Liss via The Aspen Times)

PITKIN COUNTY, Colo. — The father and son who were found in a tent in the Maroon Bells Wilderness Area earlier this month died as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Pitkin County Coroner’s Office said Tuesday.

Jeffery Beard, 41, and his son, Cameron Beard, 13, were found dead on July 16 in what was initially believed to have been lightning-related.

The coroner’s office and the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office determined the use of a camp stove in an enclosed space of the tent led to the deaths. The tent was located south of West Maroon Pass at about 11,000 feet.

Two other children camping with the Beards, a 12-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy, were in a separate tent and were not injured.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.