CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- Now that the Aurora theater shooter has been found guilty on all 165 charges he faced when he opened fire at the Century 16 theater on July 20, 2012, the trial now moves to the penalty phase.
The same jurors who found him guilty will return for that on Wednesday.
There are two options:
- Life in prison without the possibility of parole
- Execution by lethal injection by the state of Colorado
Here is how the penalty phase will proceed:
- Prosecution presents "aggravating factors"
- Defense presents "mitigating factors"
- Prosecution might present victim impact video
- Shooter has option to plead for his life
- Jurors must reach unanimous verdict
Friday is a scheduled day off in the trial.
Attorneys, the defendant and the judge will be in court Monday and Tuesday.AlertMe