Child’s remains found in mom’s car 11 years after he was last seen

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- When a Virginia State Police trooper pulled over Tonya Slaton, 44, of Richmond, Va., on Interstate 64 earlier this month, he found a black trash bag in the trunk that contained human remains, according to an affidavit obtained by WTVR.

On Friday, Virginia State Police confirmed the remains were that of Slaton's biological son Quincy Jamar Davis.

According to the search warrants, one investigator believed "the victim’s death was likely the result of some homicidal action."

Police said they need people to come forward with information about Quincy from the 2004 era, when he was in seventh grade in Virginia Beach.

“We really want people to come forward with any information, what could be a small detail to someone could be really important to investigators," Virginia State Police spokesman Sgt. Steve Vick said. "We would appreciate any assistance."

The cause and manner of death are under investigation. Police would not say when he died, but confirmed the last anyone had heard from Quincy was around 2004.  At that time,  his mother did have a residence at the beach.

No missing persons report was ever filed for Quincy. VSP cannot say if Davis' father or other family members have been contacted.

The traffic stop

Police initially stopped Slaton for driving with expired tags. A subsequent inquiry revealed the car "was not registered in Virginia and the license plates on the vehicle were not found on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles," according to the affidavit.

The trooper began impounding the vehicle and while taking inventory, discovered a black trash bag in the trunk, according to the court papers. There was a strong odor of rotting flesh permeating from the bag, the paperwork indicated. The body was double-bagged and sealed with duct tape.

Slaton allegedly threw some clothes on top of the bag and told the trooper the bag contained just clothes. The trooper also noticed a large white stain located on the floorboard behind the driver’s seat.

“When questioned, [she] explained that she spilled some bleach,” according to the affidavit.

Slaton was charged with concealment of a dead body and is being held at the City of Hampton Jail without bond.

State police said that further charges against Slaton are pending.

Who is Tonya Slaton?

Slaton’s landlord on Foushee Street told WTVR CBS 6 that Slaton had been a tenant for two years. She described Slaton as a happy, friendly person with a bubbly personality.

She said Slaton was late on her rent one month, but took a second job to make the payment. Residents in the apartment building declined to discuss the case or Slaton, citing requests from state police investigators that they not talk to the media.

According to court documents and other sources, Slaton worked full time at Integrative Health in Glen Allen as a front desk manager. Previously, the spine and disk clinic was located in Midlothian.

Past problems

Court and news records showed Slaton had been in serious trouble before. In October 2007, Hampton police were looking for her and her black Mustang after she fired four shots through her boyfriend’s front door.

She had become angry when he tried to break up with her and went and got a gun out of her car, saying “neither one of them were going to leave alive,” according to a report about the affidavit in that case.

The boyfriend escaped by climbing out of a window, cutting himself.

Slaton eventually turned herself in and wound up serving the better part of four years of a 15-year sentence for shooting into an occupied dwelling and attempted maiming.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.