DENVER -- They were grilling bacon jalapeño lime shrimp skewers along with charred corn guacamole & corn chips and some sweet & spicy coleslaw for Fraser's Favorites Thursday.
Here are the recipes:
Bacon jalapeño lime shirmp skewers
- 1 lb. 16 to 20 count shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on.
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and crushed black pepper
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Jarred jalapeno peppers
- 1 package of center cut bacon, cut in ½
- Thin skewers
- Put shrimp in a medium size bowl.
- Add lime juice and zest, olive oil, salt and pepper, green onions, and crushed red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Place a jalapeno on back of shrimp.
- Wrap in bacon and secure a toothpick through the bacon, jalapeno, and the shrimp. Repeat
- Heat grill to medium heat.
- Grill shrimp, rotating halfway through for about 5 minutes making sure bacon is crispy but not overdone.
***Omit jalapeños if you'd like a less spicy version.
Charred corn guacamole with corn chips
- 4 ears of corn
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- 3 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 serrano chili, finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
- Remove the corn from the husk and discard. Brush the corn with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and place onto a medium-high grill. Cook until charred, turning ocassionally.
- Remove the corn from the grill and cut away from the cob using a sharp knife.
- In a bowl, gently combine the avocado, Serrano peppers, onion, lime juice, and remaining oil. Fold in the corn kernels
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips.
Sweet and spicy coleslaw
- ½ savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ small mango, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 8 tbsp. brown Sugar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tbsp hot chili sauce
- 2 red chilies seeded and cut into fine slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, vinegar, and sugar. Once well combined, while whisking, slowly add the oil. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Set Aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the two types of cabbages, red onion, mango and red chilies.
- Pour dressing over the cabbage mixture to coat. Serve and enjoy!
Wine and Beer Pairing
The wine and beer pairing came from King Soopers.
Wine: Burgans Albarino Crisp, refreshing white to quell the bold Mexican spice in this meal.
Beer: Ska Mexican Logger. Imagine your favorite Mexican beer mixed with the best European import lager.