Pinpoint Weather Alert Day: Freezing fog in morning; accumulating snow for the evening drive

Police help family of 5 flee Northglenn house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORTHGLENN, Colo. -- Northglenn Police helped two adults and three children safely escape an early-morning house fire Wednesday that started as a result of discarded cigarettes in a flower pot, North Metro Fire Rescue said.

A resident woke up and saw flames coming from her neighbor's back patio at 11372 Lincoln Drive and called 911 about 4:50 a.m. A Northglenn police officer evacuated the family from the two-story home before firefighters arrived.

The fire began on the patio and spread to the attic by the time firefighters arrived and it was brought under control quickly.

Most of the damage was contained to the second floor and the attic, but the family will be displaced. The Red Cross is helping the family with temporary assistance, housing and comfort items.

There were no injures reported.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.