TODAY: Triple Homicide Suspect Sought, Holmes Jury Summonses, Like Walking on Water
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Thursday, Dec. 11, 2014.
1. One arrested, second suspect sought in connection with Adams County triple homicide
One person is in custody and a second suspect is being sought in connection with a triple homicide at an Adams County home.
2. Flu vaccine proving to be less effective so far this season; state’s first death reported
The flu shot is proving to be less effective this year, and now the first flu-related death in the state has been reported.
3. Army Corps of Engineers taking over VA hospital project in Aurora
The Army Corps of Engineers will oversee construction of the new Veterans Administration hospital in Aurora, Congressman Mike Coffman announced.
4. Hickenlooper orders flags lowered to honor Air Force pilot killed in Middle East
Flags should be lowered to half-staff for four days to honor Air Force Captain William DuBois of New Castle, who was killed in a crash in the Middle East.
5. Judge denies delay in Holmes trial; 9,000 jury summonses to be issued Thursday
Arapahoe County District Court Judge Carlos Samour Jr. denied a motion to delay the Aurora theater shooting case and 9,000 jury summonses will be issued Thursday.
6. Mail carriers caught mishandling holiday package deliveries
The rush is on to get your packages to their destinations in time for the holidays. But sometimes delivery workers seem to sacrifice taking care of packages — for speed.
7. Authorities raid exotic pet store in Thornton after allegations of animal abuse
Animal Control, police and experts from the Colorado Department of Agriculture spent the day pulling boxes of evidence out of Jurassic Pets pet store in Thornton. Investigators said they were conducting a criminal investigation involving allegations of animal abuse and neglect.
8. Colorado Supreme Court takes up Douglas County school voucher program case
The Colorado Supreme Court is deciding whether to strike down or uphold a controversial school voucher program in Douglas County.
9. Golden Globe nominations announced
Nominations for the Golden Globe Awards were announced by the Hollywood Foreign Press. The awards, which honor work in film and TV, will be presented Jan. 11 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel.
10. Hikers on ice so clear it appears they are walking on water
A video posted to YouTube shows two hikers walking on ice that is so clear, it appears they are walking on the surface of a still lake.