Make your own pumpkin spice lattes at home for a tenth of the price of one at a designer coffee shop!
PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE
MAKES: 4 cups syrup (32 to 64 lattes)
FOR THE SYRUP:
• 2 cups granulated sugar
• cinnamon to taste
• 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
FOR THE LATTE:
• 8 ounces whole milk
• 4 ounces strong brewed coffee or espresso
• Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish
- Bring the sugar and 2 cups water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking, until the sugar dissolves. Add the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and pumpkin. Simmer, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Set aside 5 minutes, then strain twice through a fine-mesh strainer into an airtight container. Refrigerate until cool. Store in the refrigerator for about 1 month. You'll end up with about 4 cups total.
- For each latte: Microwave the milk on High about 1 minute. Put 1 to 2 tablespoons pumpkin spice syrup in the bottom of a mug. Top with the coffee and warm milk. Garnish with whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice.