Kitchen fire closes diner in heart of downtown Denver

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- At the Denver Diner on Colfax and Speer Monday, owner George Skordos and his wait staff were inside the diner—which caught on fire early Sunday morning—cleaning up dishes, with food still on them, which were left on tables when the evacuation began.

“This was bar-rush as we call it,” said Michelle Carter. “We had all of our tables filled and there was a line in the lobby, we were all set for a busy morning, then flames forced all of us outside.”

Fire crews had to come from 18th and Lawrence because the trucks, which are housed right across the street from the diner, were out on another call.

A second crew rolled in from Speer and Market. Two firefighters were hurt battling the blaze. Both are expected to recover.

As for the eatery, Skordos says the kitchen equipment was ruined along with more than $15,000 worth of food and supplies. The Denver Diner has been in the family for 25 years.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.