TODAY: Inmate Escapes JeffCo Jail, Broncos Romp, Potato Contraceptive
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Monday, Oct. 6, 2014.
1. Inmate escapes from Jefferson County Jail
An inmate being held in a maximum security area of the Jefferson County Jail escaped late Sunday night and is still being sought.
2. Fort Collins police officer wounded, suspect dead in exchange of gunfire
A Fort Collins police officer was shot while responding to a welfare check at an apartment complex, police said. The officer returned fire and struck the suspect, who later died from his injuries.
3. Mark Udall on the political fight for his life and why he supports Obamacare
Democratic Sen. Mark Udall hasn’t run a TV ad yet touting his support for the Affordable Care Act, but he insists he’s proud of that vote and his voting record of siding with his party 99 percent of the time.
4. Suspected wrong-way driver slams into five other vehicles on I-225
An alleged wrong-way driver fled from police, eventually crashing into a traffic barrier and slamming into five other vehicles, the Aurora Police Department said.
5. Manning, Broncos romp past Cardinals
Peyton Manning became the second quarterback to throw 500 touchdown passes in a career as the Broncos bounced back from their loss to the Seahawks to steamroll the previously unbeaten Arizona Cardinals, 41-20.
6. Police: Revelers threw bottles, rocks at officers breaking up Fort Collins party
A rowdy crowd of revelers threw bottles and ripped street signs from the ground after police broke up a house party, the Fort Collins Police Department reported.
7. Nobel Prize in medicine goes for work on cells that form brain’s GPS system
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine honored three neuroscientists who discovered cells that form a positioning system in the brain — our hard-wired GPS.
8. Ebola prompts talk of enhanced screening at U.S. airports
Screening could soon be upped at U.S. airports because of the Ebola outbreak, a federal official said.
9. Man running in inflatable bubble rescued off coast of Florida
An ultra-marathoner trying to “run” from Florida to Bermuda in a human-powered inflatable bubble was rescued after he signaled for help, the Coast Guard said.
10. Potato found growing inside woman after being used as contraceptive
Doctors in the Central Colombian town of Honda believe they have determined why a potato was found growing inside a local woman’s vagina.AlertMe