Loveland man pleads guilty to attempted murder of police officer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT COLLINS, Colo. — A Loveland man charged with attempting to murder a police officer pleaded guilty Thursday morning in a courtroom packed with law enforcement members from across northern Colorado.

Cody Powell, 23, pleaded guilty to attempted first degree murder and a crime of violence. The plea means Powell will received a mandatory prison sentence in the range of 16-48 years depending on a judge ruling, which is scheduled for Dec. 17.

Powell pleaded guilty to shooting Loveland Police officer Garret Osilka, 36, during a routine traffic stop on the night of Mar. 2 just north of the major intersection of West Eisenhower Boulevard and North Wilson Avenue in Loveland.

Powell called police from a Wal-Mart in north Fort Collins two days later to turn himself in.

Osilka was shot in the chest and taken to a hospital in serious condition. He was released from the hospital later in the week and is expected to make a fully recovery.

According to his arrest affidavit, Powell sent unusual text messages to family members shortly after the incident occurred — police learned of the messages through interviews with relatives of Powell.

In a text to Powell’s step father, Brandon Ralston, he wrote, “Thanks man. I’ve never got the chance to tell you I look up to you like my own dad…I’ve been a lucky guy to have you as family.”

Powell also texted his brother, Shane Liedka, the night of the shooting.

Both Liedka and Ralston told police the messages were uncharacteristic of Powell.

Police also noted in the affidavit that the blue Jeep Cherokee Powell allegedly drove on the night of the incident, which was later found parked at Aspen Drive and Taft Avenue in Loveland, was taken without consent from his place of work, Kar Kare shop.

The temporary plates on the Jeep were registered to a 2005 Hyundai owned by Tim Bailey, according to the affidavit.

Bailey told police that he owned the vehicle and said he had left it at the Kar Kare shop. He also told detectives that his friend Samuel Wright had left a blue Jeep Cherokee at the body shop as well, which was later confirmed by Wright.