TODAY: JeffCo Sickout, Scotland Says ‘No,’ Manning on Pizza Business
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Friday, Sept. 19, 2014.
1. Two JeffCo high schools cancel classes
Standley Lake and Connifer high schools canceled classes after a high number of teachers called out sick.
2. Jack Elway gets probation, counseling in domestic violence case with girlfriend
John “Jack” Elway III, the son of Broncos general manager John Elway, reached a plea deal and has been sentenced to domestic violence counseling and probation after an altercation with his girlfriend in July.
3. CDC warns of tough flu season ahead
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is predicting a tough flu season this year. Medical experts say this year’s season is expected to hit a month earlier than usual.
4. Teen hurt in school chemistry lab fire fighting hard with family at his hospital bedside
Johnny Vargas has been by the hospital bed of his brother Dominic since ambulances rushed Dominic to the hospital after investigators say a chemistry teacher mishandled a methanol experiment, causing an explosion and a 15-foot fireball.
5. 5-year-old goes missing from Denver school, was put on school bus by mistake
A 5-year-old boy went missing from his elementary school in Denver and his mother now questions her son’s safety at a place he should be protected.
6. Police: Boyfriend killed woman in Aurora apartment during fight
Detectives say Danielle Griego was fighting with her boyfriend inside an apartment in Aurora when she was shot and her boyfriend, who was suffering from a drug overdose.
7. Scotland votes ‘no’ to independence, will stay in United Kingdom
Scotland will remain part of the United Kingdom — along with England, Wales and Northern Ireland — following a historic referendum vote.
8. Eight people, including six young children, killed in north Florida domestic shooting
A Florida man shot and killed his daughter and six grandchildren in the small north-central Florida town of Bell in what authorities called a murder-suicide.
9. Home Depot credit card breach bigger than Target’s
Home Depot said 56 million credit cards may have been compromised during an attack by hackers that lasted from April to September.
10. Peyton Manning on pizza business in Colorado
Peyton Manning says “recent law changes” in Colorado have made the pizza-selling business red-hot.