TODAY: Wintry Blast in Summer, Beer at Folsom Field, Dancing Baby Bear
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Friday, Sept. 12, 2014.
1. Some snow in metro area; warm, dry weekend on tap
A late-summer blast of winter hit the Denver metro area, with snow reported in some locations and the foothills. The storm is moving out and it should be a warm, dry weekend.
2. Federal agents including FBI, ATF search Erie home
Federal law enforcement officials and local police conducted an investigation at an Erie home. They spent several hours walking in and out of the home but details were not released. The homeowner was out of the state.
3. Two inmates escape from work crew in Denver
Two jail inmates escaped from custody while riding in a work crew vehicle, the Colorado Department of Corrections confirmed.
4. Alcohol to be sold inside Folsom Field during CU football games
For the first time in nearly two decades, alcohol will once again be available inside Folsom Field during the University of Colorado’s football games in Boulder this year.
5. Colorado obesity rate lowest in the United States
A joint study found just 21.3 percent of Colorado residents qualify as obese, giving the state the lowest obesity rate in the U.S.
6. Vail adds resort to Epic Pass with purchase of Park City Mountain Resort
After a long legal battle, Vail Resorts extended its foray into Utah with the acquisition of Park City Mountain Resort. Vail Resorts finalized its purchase of a second Park City, Utah, resort for $182.5 million.
7. Convicted high school shooter T.J. Lane back in custody after prison escape
T.J. Lane, who escaped from an Ohio prison where he was serving three life sentences for a school shooting was captured.
8. Oscar Pistorius guilty of negligent killing, one gun charge
A judge found former Olympian Oscar Pistorius guilty of culpable homicide in the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp. Pistorius is free on bail pending sentencing in October.
9. Big solar storm headed toward Earth
Experts say the combined energy from two recent solar events will arrive at Earth on Saturday, prompting the Space Weather Prediction Center to issue a strong Geomagnetic Storm Watch.
10. Baby bear dances with flagstick, steals golf ball
A video shot by a golfer in British Columbia of a bear playing with a flagstick has gone viral. In the video, a baby black bear plays with the flagstick at a golf course before stealing a player’s ball.