TODAY: Amber Alert Canceled, GMOs on Ballot, ‘Spider-Man’ Motorcyclist
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014.
1. Amber Alert for 3-year-old boy canceled
An Amber Alert in Larimer County was canceled after a kidnapped 3-year-old boy was found in Fort Collins.
2. Wall of house collapses; residents might not ever get back in
The wall of a house near Kalamath Street and 12th Avenue suddenly collapsed. No one was inside at the time, police said. No injuries were reported, but the house has been condemned.
3. Campaign to build Arapahoe Park casino emphasizes school funding
Two TV ads for Amendment 68, which would allow a casino to be built at Arapahoe Park horse racing track, focus on the estimated $100 million in annual tax revenues that would go to help fund K-12 public and charter schools.
4. Denver police officer arrested on child abuse charges
A Denver Police Department officer was arrested in Douglas County on child abuse charges.
5. Colorado voters to decide if genetically modified foods will be labeled
Colorado voters will get to decide in November whether or not food companies should be required to label which products contain Genetically Modified Organisms, better known as GMOs.
6. USA Pro Challenge hits Colorado Springs
The USA Pro Challenge hits the Front Range with a circuit race in Colorado Springs that starts at the Broadmoor and goes through Garden of the Gods and downtown. Expect road closures in the city.
7. Broncos lose receiver Norwood
Broncos receiver Jordan Norwood tore his ACL in a joint practice with the Houston Texans and will miss the season.
8. American Ebola patient to be released after clean blood tests
Dr. Kent Brantly, who contracted the deadly Ebola virus in West Africa while helping fight its largest outbreak in recorded history, will be released from Atlanta’s Emory University Hospital.
9. Hunt is on for suspected British jihadi in James Foley execution video
An international manhunt is under way for the fighter shown in a video of the beheading of journalist James Foley — and its focus is on Britain.
10. Motorcyclist makes like ‘Spider-Man’
A motorcyclist in Belarus crashed into the back of a car while traveling about 55 mph and somehow did a somersault and landed on his feet on top of the vehicle.