Chef Theo Adley from The Squeaky Bean tells us about the Denver Trash Fish Dinner.
Grilled Mackerel – Recipe by The Squeaky Bean’s Theo Adley
- 1 small mackerel, boned, gutted and butterflied
- 2 ears of corn, cut from cob
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pinch of chili pepper
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 1/2 a lime
- Kosher salt
- Evoo olive oil
- Turn grill up to high. Liberally season the mackerel with salt and drizzle with a little oil.
- Once the grill is screaming hot, put the butterflied fish skin side down on the grill. After about three minutes, she'll be done.
- For the corn, heat a pan over high. Throw in a golf ball sized nugget of butter and let it brown lightly. Add your corn and a pinch of salt.
- Once it achieves a little color, add the garlic and smidge of chili, and toss.
- Cook an additional minute or two, throw in your fresh mint and a nice squeeze of lime juice.
- Taste it for salt and adjust accordingly.
- Place the mackerel on top and drizzle some olive oil around with panache.
- Turn to someone nearby and scream, "Voila!" so loud it startles them a little. Enjoy and ahoy.