TODAY: Holmes in Court, Crocs Cuts, Husband’s Spreadsheet
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Tuesday, July 22, 2014.
1. James Holmes back in court
Aurora theater shooting suspect James Holmes returns to court as lawyers argue whether he should be videotaped while undergoing a second evaluation to determine his sanity.
2. Denver sheriff resigns; interim has criminal past
Interim Denver Sheriff Elias Diggins, who is stepping in after Gary Wilson resigned in a department shake-up, was arrested in 1996 for a felony of attempting to influence a public servant. The pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, a misdemeanor of false reporting.
3. Crocs to cut jobs, close stores
Niwot-based shoemaker Crocs will lay off 183 people, and close and restructure stores after second-quarter earnings came up short.
4. Denver police officer tells Uber driver service is illegal
The Denver Police Department issued an apology to an Uber driver, who was pulled over by an officer and was told the service was illegal in Colorado.
5. ‘Marijuana millionaires’ put Colorado pot industry in national spotlight
Colorado’s marijuana business is in the national spotlight because of people who are becoming “marijuana millionaires.”
6. Pueblo County stops issuing same-sex marriage licenses
The Pueblo County Clerk and Recorder “reluctantly” decided to stop issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. The Colorado Supreme Court last week ordered Denver County to stop issuing the licenses but did not tell other counties to stop.
7. Teen accused of raping young children on mission trip
An Oklahoma teenager faces a possible life in prison sentence after authorities say they learned he allegedly raped and molested a number of young children during an African mission trip.
8. Ukraine says Russian officer pushed the button to shoot down Malaysia Airlines plane
Ukraine’s director of informational security said he is certain a Russian officer personally pushed the button to shoot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17. Moscow has denied claims.
9. Pregnant teen strangled, boyfriend beheaded in Craigslist killings
A man allegedly killed a couple and their unborn child in Michigan after the victims arranged through Craigslist to meet him for sex. Brady Oestrike is believed to have beheaded Charles Oppenneer and strangled his girlfriend Brooke Slocum.
10. Husband charts wife’s reasons for refusing sex, sends it to her
A woman posted a spreadsheet to Reddit that was sent by her husband, documenting the reasons she gave for not having sex with him.AlertMe