TODAY: No Special Session, Parking Lot Scammers, Readers Respond to Mourning Dad
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Wednesday, July 16, 2014.
1. No special session over fracking
After more than three months of trying to find support for a legislative compromise to resolve local control issues around oil and gas drilling, Gov. John Hickenlooper is pulling the plug on a special legislative session this summer.
2. Governor’s race tight
A Quinnipiac poll shows Republican Bob Beauprez leads Gov. John Hickenlooper 44 percent to 43 percent less than four months before Election Day.
3. More rain coming, raising flood concerns
More rain is in the forecast, and with it more concern about flooding in the Denver metro area.
4. Police warn about scammers posed as parking lot attendants
Denver Police are warning about a man who poses as a parking attendant and commits cash crimes. At least one person fell victim to a man who claimed to work for a parking lot in the 500 block of 16th Street and pocketed the cash.
5. Car barrels into Fort Collins restaurant
A sedan collided into the front Jason’s Deli in Fort Collins on Tuesday afternoon. The driver, an 80-year-old man, was taken to the hospital.
6. Two arrested during Denver robbery in which officer shot at dog
A Denver Police officer opened fire at a dog that was “poised to attack him” while responding to a home robbery that resulted in two arrests.
7. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety recommends best cars for teens
Research from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety shows many teenagers are driving cars that don’t keep them safe on the road.
8. Special U.S. naturalization ceremony held for kids, teens
All 44 people sworn in as U.S. citizens were between ages 5 and 18. They represented 19 countries. It’s the first time the office has held a special swearing in event just for kids.
9. Fitness technology might be causing weight gain
Devices such as Fitbit are designed to help people lose weight. But some people are finding the opposite — they are gaining weight after using this technology.
10. Reddit readers respond to mourning father’s heartbreaking request
After the death of his infant daughter, a mourning Ohio father posted a photograph to Reddit and asked someone to Photoshop the image to remove his daughter’s medical tubes.