Serial sex assault suspect dies after crash fleeing attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TULSA, Okla. — The man suspected of a series of sex attacks that left an Oklahoma city on edge this summer has died, authorities said, two weeks after crashing his car as he fled the scene of one of the alleged assaults.

Desmond Campbell, 30, was presented with charges related to seven sex crimes last week, even though he was in a hospital bed — unresponsive and in critical condition from the wreck, Tulsa Police Chief Chuck Jordan said. The state medical examiner’s office confirmed Campbell’s death Tuesday.

“We were prepared to file 23 felony crimes against him, including rape, robbery and first degree burglary,” Assistant District Attorney for Tulsa County Steve Kunzweiler said.

There were eight linked cases of sexual assault in Tulsa in June, according to police. They were initially linked through specific actions and statements the suspect made during the attacks.

The victims were between 56-78 years old, except for one, who was 29.

Campbell was identified as a suspect after an analysis of a “tremendous amount of absolutely miraculous evidence collection and crime scene investigation,” Jordan said.

The speeding car he was traveling in struck a light pole on an interstate early on the morning of June 29, about 10 minutes after one of his alleged sexual assaults, Jordan said earlier this month. Campbell, who was not wearing a seat belt, suffered severe head injuries.

A complete autopsy, including toxicology tests, will be performed. Results won’t be available for at least six to nine weeks, the state medical examiner’s office said.

“The death of Mr. Campbell is not going to provide any justice to these victims in a criminal court of law. The justice he will face will come from a higher authority,” Kunzweiler said.

Campbell was released from prison in late April after convictions in Oklahoma City for attempted robbery, attempted kidnapping and robbery, and robbery with a dangerous weapon, Jordan said. He was imprisoned in 2007.



Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.