TODAY: Two Officer-Involved Shootings, Holiday Events, ‘Run Like a Girl’
DENVER — Here are your 10 Things to Know for Thursday, July 3, 2014.
1. Fugitive shot dead outside funeral home
One person was killed in an officer-involved shooting outside the Romero Family Funeral Home. Officers were attempting to apprehend a 21-year-old fugitive with felony warrants.
2. Suspect shot dead in undercover drug buy
Denver police shot and killed a suspect during an undercover drug buy at Overland Pond Park. Police say the suspect produced a handgun and made threats when uniformed officers moved in.
3. Colorado charged with assisting terrorist group ISIS
A Colorado teen was arrested at Denver International in April, accused of trying to help the terrorist group ISIS. The FBI says Shannon Maureen Conley, 19, conspired with others to support the terrorist group.
4. Democrats dump video of Beauprez echoing Romney’s ’47 percent’ comments
Colorado Democrats released a video of Republican gubernatorial nominee Bob Beauprez giving a speech in 2010 in which the then-retired politician riffed about the 47 percent of Americans who don’t pay taxes.
5. Governor, attorney general want Supreme Court to settle same-sex marriage question
Gov. John Hickenlooper and Attorney General John Suthers want the state Supreme Court to settle whether Colorado’s ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.
6. Holiday activities abound
There are several events along the Front Range as the Fourth of July holiday kicks into high gear, including shows at Civic Center Park and after the Rockies’ games the next two nights.
7. Armed waiters serve up American fare at Rifle restaurant
Guns are locked and loaded as diners sit down to place an order at Shooter’s Grill in Rifle as the waitstaff carries firearms and guns are all over the restaurant.
8. Immigration battle heats up in California city
Residents of Murrieta, Calif., aren’t happy that a group of undocumented residents from Central America who have flowed into the U.S. in Texas are being brought to their city.
9. Man claims to have images of Bigfoot
A Virginia man claims to have clear photos of Bigfoot.
10. Always video redefines what it means to run ‘like a girl’
The latest ad by Always, the maker of sanitary pads, considers why girls lose confidence after puberty and clearly, it has struck a chord; in less than a week, it has more than 17 million views on YouTube.