DENVER — New York Times columnist Maureen Dowd came to Denver to write about the recreational marijuana industry and her experience wasn’t what she was expecting.
“I figured if I was reporting on the social revolution rocking Colorado in January, the giddy culmination of pot Prohibition, I should try a taste of legal, edible pot from a local shop,” Dowd wrote in The Times, under the headline “Don’t Harsh Our Mellow, Dude.”
“What could go wrong with a bite or two?
“Everything, as it turned out.”
Dowd was staying in an unnamed Denver hotel room when she tried a “caramel-chocolate flavored candy bar” that she purchased at a local marijuana dispensary.
“I nibbled off the end and then, when nothing happened, nibbled some more,” she wrote.
Dowd writes that after an hour, she felt nothing and “I figured I’d order dinner from room service and return to my more mundane drugs of choice, chardonnay and mediocre-movies-on-demand.”
Then the marijuana kicked in as Dowd “felt a scary shudder go through my body and brain. I barely made it from the desk to the bed, where I lay curled up in a hallucinatory state for the next eight hours. I was thirsty but couldn’t move to get water. Or even turn off the lights. I was panting and paranoid, sure that when the room-service waiter knocked and I didn’t answer, he’d call the police and have me arrested for being unable to handle my candy.
“I strained to remember where I was or even what I was wearing, touching my green corduroy jeans and staring at the exposed-brick wall. As my paranoia deepened, I became convinced that I had died and no one was telling me.”
She said the next day, she was told the candy bar she tried was “supposed to be cut into 16 pieces for novices; but that recommendation hadn’t been on the label.”
She adds “five months in, that some kinks need to be ironed out with the intoxicating open bar at the Mile High Club.”AlertMe