FORT CARSON, Colo. -- A Fort Carson mom spoke out to say that she believes her son did not commit suicide, but that his death was the result of a choking game played in a middle school bathroom.
Kristina Fields lost her son, Luie, on Valentine's Day, according to Colorado Springs' KRDO.
Luie was found after lunch unresponsive in the boy's bathroom at the Carson Middle School.
"They found him with his belt around his neck," Kristina told KRDO. "They all think he killed himself, so they all jumped to the conclusion that he was bullied."
Yet, Kristina said it didn't make sense to her. She didn't believe Luie was an unhappy child as he showed no signs of depression.
A week after Luie's death, Kristina recounted checking the messages on her phone and found one from her son that was an accidental call, a "butt dial."
While the message was difficult to understand, Kristina told KRDO she could hear Luie talking about a friend choking him.
She said she believes her son and his friends were playing the choking game, which, according to the Center for Disease Control, kids and teens play as a means to get high.
When individuals play alone, they use belts, Kristina said, making the connection to her own son's death.
The Fort Carson mother gave her phone to investigators so they can further explore the possibility that her son died as a result of playing this game.
Kristina added that she also wants to make other parents aware of the game, encouraging them to talk to their children about how this type of play can become fatal.
"It's not a game," she said. "This could end your life. This could end your buddies life."AlertMe