Suspected serial rapist apparently kills himself as trial begins
DENVER — A suspect charged with being a serial rapist apparently killed himself Thursday morning.
William Costello, 47, faced 18 counts of kidnapping, sexual assault and other crimes associated with attacks dating back to 2008, according to the Denver District Attorney’s Office.
Costello had been released on bond pending trial, but wore a GPS tracking anklet, police said.
He failed to show up for the second day of trial at 8:30 a.m. Thursday, then was subsequently found dead, apparently having jumped from the roof of a building near 2890 Brighton Blvd.
The case has been declared a mistrial, according to the D.A.’s Office.
Costello was first arrested in July 2012 after an altercation with a man collecting signatures for an anti-abortion campaign.
Upon running his DNA, investigators found that he was connected to three unsolved sexual assault cases, the D.A.’s Office said.
Prosecutors now allege that Costello sexually assaulted a 13-year-old girl in March 2008, a 22-year-old woman in August 2010, and a 49-year-old woman in September 2011.
The charges further allege that in the latter attacks Costello claimed he was a police officer.AlertMe