Carbon monoxide leak at N.Y. mall kills 1, hospitalizes dozens

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SUFFOLK COUNTY, N.Y. — A restaurant manager died and 27 other people were hospitalized after carbon monoxide poisoning at a restaurant in New York, authorities said Sunday.

Police and emergency crews rushed to the mall in Huntington Station on Saturday night following reports that a woman collapsed in the basement of Legal Sea Foods.

Once they arrived, they felt dizzy as well, and determined it was carbon monoxide poisoning, Suffolk County Police said in a statement.

“Police evacuated the restaurant and found the manager, Steven Nelson, 55, of Copiague, unconscious in the basement,” the statement said. “He was transported to Huntington Hospital where he was pronounced dead.”

The restaurant offered its condolences to his relatives.

“We are profoundly saddened to learn of the tragic death of our general manager,” Legal Sea Foods tweeted. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”

Patients transported to hospital included restaurant employees, four ambulance personnel and three police officers.

Surrounding businesses were evacuated as a precaution, but authorities said the carbon monoxide appeared limited to the basement of the restaurant.

The investigation is focusing on the restaurant’s heating equipment, authorities said.

™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.


1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.