Drunk woman injured after touching electric fence at Denver Zoo
DENVER — Paramedics responded Monday night to the Denver Zoo after an “extremely intoxicated” female guest suffered an electric shock when she apparently touched an electrified fence, the Denver Police Department said.
Radio traffic seemed to indicate that a female guest had suffered a major electric shock near the elephant enclosure about 9:15 p.m., but firefighters later confirmed that her injuries were minor.
The woman was hospitalized due to “a high level of intoxication,” DPD said.
The zoo did not immediately comment on the incident.
The annual Zoo Lights holiday festival was ongoing at the time of the incident, meaning thousands of people were at the zoo during evening hours. Though the event is generally considered a family affair, alcohol is served.
ZOO UPDATE (1/2): No electrocution. Extremely intoxicated female entered elephant pen at zoo & sat down next to electrical wires.
— Denver Police Dept (@DenverPolice) December 24, 2013