Christopher Watts’ attorneys request DNA samples from bodies of wife, children
Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters

Chimney fire serves as important reminder for Colorado homeowners

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A fire official said Thursday an early morning chimney fire is another reminder that Coloradans should keep a close eye on their fireplaces. The blaze damaged one unit at the Miramonte Townhomes on Sequerra Street in Broomfield.

“It’s surprising when you see all the smoke and the flames,” said Mel Sisson, a neighbor who was startled to see multiple fire trucks at 4 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning. “It was going pretty good.”

“We had a fire that got out of the fireplace, wood-burning fireplace, and in between the fire box and the construction of the building,” said Division Chief Steve Gosselin of North Metro Fire Rescue.

The blaze was quickly extinguished. A man who was using his fireplace when the flames spread managed to escape his unit and was uninjured. Gosselin said a fire box, where fire typically burns in a home, apparently broke down. He said fireplaces and chimneys, like the ones in this 40-year-old town home, should be checked regularly for cracks and buildup of creosote.

“Have your fireplace inspected annually by a licensed specialist or chimney sweep to make sure its integrity is maintained,” Gosselin said. “Nothing lasts forever unfortunately so that’s why it’s important to check up on it.”

AlertMe