Unoccupied house up for sale explodes in Boulder

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Authorities respond to the scene of a home explosion in Boulder on the morning of Nov. 15, 2013. (Photo: Boulder Daily Camera / Mitchell Byars)

Authorities respond to the scene of a home explosion in Boulder on the morning of Nov. 15, 2013. (Photo: Boulder Daily Camera / Mitchell Byars)

BOULDER, Colo. — An unoccupied house exploded early Friday morning in Boulder, startling many of the residents in the neighborhood awake.

According to Heidi Prentup of the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office, the explosion took place in the 6000 block of Indian Road, and was reported shortly before 4 a.m. Prentup said the home was up for sale and nobody was in it at the time it went up in flames.

Boulder deputies and fire officials were still working to determine a cause of the explosion later Friday morning. However, Prentup did confirm there was some work being done on the home to get it ready for sale.

Residents in the area also told deputies there was a strong odor of natural gas in the area when work was being done on the home on Thursday.

Because no one was inside the home, there were no injuries resulting from the explosion, but fire officials said the damage rendered the home a total loss. That said, firefighters confirmed that no other homes or properties in the area were damaged.

AlertMe

2 comments

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.