TODAY: Avs goalie in court, FAA to allow electronics, Happy Halloween!
1. Official: Avs goalie’s arrest a conspiracy to weaken Russia Olympic team
A day after Avalanche goalie turned himself over to authorities on domestic violence charges, a Russia Olympic official claims the arrest was “not normal at all,” and made in an effort to weaken his country’s national hockey team.
2. Judge could grant transfer request to affluent Saudi sex offender al-Turki
A Colorado judge could make a decision on whether to release convicted sex offender Homaidan al-Turki, a man who is also loosely tied to the murder of Colorado’s prisons chief, and send him back to Saudi Arabia.
3. Aurora police following tips in search for kidnap suspect
Police were still looking late Wednesday for a suspect who kidnapped an 8-year-old girl right out of her bedroom early Monday. Because of the boldness of the crime, tips are flooding into the police department and they’re working to follow up on those leads.
4. FAA to allow most electronic device use throughout flights
Airplane travelers will soon be able to watch videos and play games with their electronic devices throughout their entire flight — and not just above a certain altitude.
5. Pleasant temperatures in forecast for Halloween
It is a boo-tiful Halloween in the Mile High City, with sunshine and highs in the 50s. Gusty winds could be a problem this afternoon and early evening, but the winds should die down early to mid evening. For trick-or-treaters in Denver, temperatures should be around 55 at 5 p.m. and drop off to 44 by 8 p.m.
6. Smoke pot on the ski hill, lose your pass
Due to the fact that most ski hills are located on land leased from the federal government, which rules that smoking marijuana is still illegal, and due to stipulations in Amendment 64 that prevent public marijuana usage, Colorado ski areas say they will be stepping up their enforcement of pot smoking bans on the hills this year.
7. DPS’ McMeen Elementary closed due to water main break
Due to a water main break, McMeen Elementary School will be closed on Thursday. There will be no school and no programs at the campus, the school said. Crews are working to repair the water main, and will update families on the status of school on Friday.
8. Republican-led committee subpoenas health secretary over HealthCare.gov
The Republican-led House Oversight Committee has subpoenaed Health Secretary Kathleen Sebelius as part of its effort to obtain documents and other information about the embattled HealthCare.gov website.
9. NYC raises age to buy cigarettes from 18 to 21
The New York City Council has approved a change to the minimum age required to buy cigarettes, raising it from 18 to 21 years of age. The ban even includes e-cigarettes.
10. VIRAL VIDEO: See woman’s body dramatically altered with Photoshop
A time-lapse clip of a makeup-free woman becoming a blond bombshell shows just how much gets changed after the photograph is taken. It has since gone viral, with over 1.2 million views as of Thursday morning.AlertMe