Pinpoint Weather Alert Day: Snow to impact Thursday morning commute

Agencies, charities providing disaster assistance to flood victims

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Help is available for the thousands of people impacted by the Front Range Floods from a variety of sources including the federal government and private charities.

Here is a breakdown of some of the resources.

FEMA Disaster Aid

After President Obama major disaster declaration issued for Colorado, a variety of aid is now available from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

To apply for FEMA aid, call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or go to

-- Rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable. Initial assistance may be provided for up to three months for homeowners and at least one month for renters. Assistance may be extended if requested after the initial period based on a review of individual applicant requirements. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
-- Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
Grants to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs. (Source: FEMA funded at 75 percent of total eligible costs; 25 percent funded by the state.)
-- Unemployment payments up to 26 weeks for workers who temporarily lost jobs because of the disaster and who do not qualify for state benefits, such as self-employed individuals. (Source: FEMA funded; state administered.)
-- Low-interest loans to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance. Loans available up to $200,000 for primary residence; $40,000 for personal property, including renter losses. Loans available up to $2 million for business property losses not fully compensated by insurance. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration.)
-- Loans up to $2 million for small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives and most private, non-profit organizations of all sizes that have suffered disaster-related cash flow problems and need funds for working capital to recover from the disaster's adverse economic impact. This loan in combination with a property loss loan cannot exceed a total of $2 million. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration.)
-- Loans up to $500,000 for farmers, ranchers and aquaculture operators to cover production and property losses, excluding primary residence. (Source: Farm Service Agency, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.)
Other relief programs: Crisis counseling for those traumatized by the disaster; income tax assistance for filing casualty losses; advisory assistance for legal, veterans’ benefits and social security matters.

HUD Disaster Resources

The Department of Housing and Urban Development has a variety of programs to help with mortgages, insurance and loans to rebuild or buy another home.

American Red Cross

The Red Cross provides immediate emergency needs including shelter, food health and emotional health services.

These resources are available at Red Cross shelters, many of which have been established across the Front Range.

The Red Cross also operates a Safe and Well registry where people victims of a disaster can notify family and friends that they are okay.

Salvation Army

The Salvation Army also provides immediate help to flooding victims with shelters and meals.

To make a donation to the Salvation Army, visit

Boulder County Department of Housing and Human Services

The federal program is providing food assistance to those who qualify to replace food lost due to the recent flooding in Boulder County.

The replacement funds are available to those who are currently receiving food assistance, and covers food purchased using September Food Assistance benefits.

Residents who feel they may qualify for the replacement food assistance should contact BCDHHS’ Community Support Manager Lynn Grey at or 303-441-1000.

Boulder County Disaster Assistance Center

Longmont has opened a Disaster Assistance Center (DAC) in partnership with Boulder County at 1250 South Hover. The DAC entrance is located on the west side of the Twin Peaks Mall in the former location of Steve & Barry’s just south of Sears.

The center will operate from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m., seven days a week until the need subsides. Please bring any paperwork that would assist in verifying your address and assisting with your needs such as utility bills, identification, social security number, insurance policy paperwork, etc.

Agencies at the center include: FEMA, Workforce Boulder County, Boulder County Public Health, Boulder County Land Use, the OUR Center, and American Family Insurance. Three other non-profits are also on-site to assist with private home clean up: Convoy of Hope, Samaritans Purse, and the Southern Baptist Convention. For those in need of clean up kits, bottled water and other necessities assistance can be found at the DAC. Additional help may also be found at

Other Charities

A variety of small regional charities are available for flooding victims as well, however it's best that you check with the Better Business Bureau to verify the charity.

Humane Societies

Longmont Humane Society

Larimer Humane Society

Humane Society of Weld County

Humane Society of Boulder Valley

Below is a map of shelters for both people and animals and the location of emergency management offices.