3 teens airlifted to Denver, 1 dead due to carbon monoxide exposure

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Reid Gates, a standout athlete at Cedaredge High School, died after being exposed to carbon monoxide on Sept. 8, 2013. (Photo: Facebook / Reid Gates)

Reid Gates, a standout athlete at Cedaredge High School, died after being exposed to carbon monoxide on Sept. 8, 2013. (Photo: Facebook / Reid Gates)

DENVER — Three western Colorado teens were airlifted to a Denver area hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide over a weekend camping trip. One of them is now dead and another remains in critical condition, according to a report.

KJCT is reporting that the teens were exposed on Sunday near Delta, when they inhaled carbon monoxide from a faulty trailer camper. All were flown to St. Luke’s Medical Center in Denver shortly after being exposed.

All three teens attended Cedaredge High School. Reid Gates, a star football player at the school, died from the exposure. Friend and teammate Aaron Henrie remains in critical condition. Tyler Cooper, another friend and teammate, has been updated to good condition.

Gates helped lead Cedaredge’s football team to an unexpected 1A state championship a year ago, serving as the team’s second-leading rusher. He scored a touchdown in the team’s 18-16 state title win over Buena Vista.

Gates was also a standout on the school’s basketball and track teams, averaging 13.3 points on the hardwood and advancing to the state track meet as a long and high jumper.

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.