Ex-NFL star Hernandez may be indicted on murder charges Thursday
BOSTON — Former NFL tight end Aaron Hernandez will be back in court Thursday, where he may learn whether a grand jury has voted to indict him for Odin Lloyd‘s killing and other weapons charges.
Hernandez is scheduled to be in court in the afternoon for a probable cause hearing, which establishes whether a crime has been committed and if the defendant committed it.
A grand jury has been investigating the case and hearing from several witnesses, including a man who is suing Hernandez for allegedly shooting him in January in Florida.
Hernandez, 23, has pleaded not guilty and has remained behind bars without bail since June 26.
Authorities say Hernandez and two other men picked up Lloyd from his Boston apartment in June.
Surveillance cameras showed the car at an industrial park near his North Attleborough, Massachusetts, home.
Days later, Lloyd’s bullet-riddled body was found in that industrial park.
Prosecutors have accused Hernandez of orchestrating the death of Lloyd, who was shot five times with a .45 caliber handgun.
Ortiz has told authorities that Wallace said Hernandez fired the shots that killed Lloyd, according to a court document.
Wallace was charged with accessory after the fact to murder and has pleaded not guilty. Ortiz has pleaded not guilty to a weapons charge.
The search of a pond in Bristol, Connecticut, in connection with the murder investigation failed to turn up any new evidence, authorities said Tuesday.
“No evidence was recovered and, at the present time, no more dives are planned,” Lt. Kevin Morrell said.
Investigators have refused to say what they were searching for, but a law enforcement source had previously said they were searching for the .45 caliber handgun believed to have been used to kill Lloyd.
™ & © 2013 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.AlertMe