Live on FOX31: Multiple people dead after crash, massive fire on I-70

Brothers escape Montbello house fire sparked by candle

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- Two brothers say they're thankful to be alive after fleeing their Montbello home as it went up in flames Thursday morning.

Denver Police say the fire began around 4 a.m. at 14801 East Randolph Place. The brothers, Mustaf and Said Mohamud, said they were sitting around and listening to music when they began smelling the smoke.

"I was downstairs in the basement when one of the rooms caught fire," Mustaf said. "I smelled the smoke, my brother screamed and I ran to the other room to help get him out."

"There was smoke everywhere," Said added. "We were coughing and everything."

Although arson investigators will still trying to confirm the cause of the fire later Thursday morning, the brothers say they believe it was sparked by a candle.

The inside of the home sustained heavy damage. Restoration crews were working to salvage what they could. The brothers were getting ready to describe what happened to their parents, who were out of town Thursday.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.