DENVER -- In our Restaurant Report Card this week, a Centennial Bistro fails for rodent droppings, an exclusive Cherry Hills Country club earns an F for where they store their salmon and a very popular breakfast joint serves up a perfect score.
East Moon Asian Bistro
We start at the East Moon Asian Bistro and Sushi Bar located at 8162 Holy St. where owners claim to serve the freshest seafood. But, East Moon is heading south according to their inspection reports.
The restaurant failed the report card because of “rodent droppings” found during its February inspection.
The report said, “Rodent droppings were present…on the floor under the refrigeration units, on the floor of the water heater room, behind the ice machine and on the dry storage room floor.”
Inspectors also found “no hot water” in the bathroom sinks, “no soap” in the men’s restroom and the “fryers, wok and grill were soiled.”
The manager of the restaurant, Jeane Yang, admitted they did have a rodent problem, but said it is now under control.
“Those violations just from little small problem from the kitchen and the food is all safe. I guarantee,” Yang said.
Glenmoor Country Club
Next, we head to the second failure of the week, The Glenmoor Country Club. The club may be a hit with golfers, but Tri-county health inspectors teed them up for 11 critical violations.
In March, inspectors found “salmon was stored in a bin on the floor, slime mold was present on the soda guns in the bar,” and “the dish drain board on the dish machine was soiled with mold.”
The exclusive club would not invite FOX31 inside for a look. The general manager of the restaurant refused to comment.
Another F goes to Taco Jalpa on East Colfax in Aurora. The restaurant earned a failing grade for 11 critical violations during its last two inspections.
In February, inspectors found “an employee was observed donning gloves without first washing hands” and “an employee was observed wiping hands on his apron” plus potentially hazardous food was not being held at the correct temperature.
The owner of the restaurant told FOX31 Denver that “the kitchen is in better condition and that we are doing better.”
The next failing grade goes to East Wok on Federal Boulevard in Westminster.
In their February inspection, “an employee was observed handing ready-to-eat cabbage along the grill line with bare hands. The “sanitizing solution” was too strong which health experts said can be toxic. Plus, “rice” and “beef” and “vegetables” were held at the wrong temperature which can also make you sick.
The owner of the restaurant told us that “all the critical violations are corrected.”
Grill on the Hill
The Grill on the Hill in Franktown also earns an F this week. The diner had 15 critical violations during its last two inspections.
In February, inspectors found “two employees on the cook line handled ready to eat avocado and cheese with their bare hands.”
Also, “containers of food were stored on the floor” and many areas of the restaurant were “soiled with food debris.”
The manager of the restaurant told FOX31 that the health department held a food safety class in English and Spanish and that they were re-inspected and “have gotten the all clear” from Tri-county Health.
And finally, we head to Snooze on Colorado Boulevard where the breakfast eatery gets an A for serving up zero critical violations.
General manager, Christin Marvin said, “To be honored for it is just awesome for us.”
It’s egg-stra special to get a gold star on Restaurant Report Card.
Food safety tip from Denver Department of Environmental Health:
Check Your Favorite Restaurants
Follow this link for restaurants in the city of Denver
Follow this link for restaurants covered by the Tri-County Health Department (Arapahoe, Adams and Douglas counties)