Restaurant Report Card: Denver Athletic Club, Jing, PHO 77

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DENVER -- An exclusive dining room for “members only” gets an F in this week’s restaurant report card.

Denver Athletic Club

The Denver Athletic Cub may be where many people go to slim down, but if you eat at their “Tavern” dining room, you might need a strong stomach.

The club earned an F for racking up 17 critical violations in its last two inspections including “mold on strawberries" and “not washing their produce.”

Denver inspectors also found “cheese, cold cuts and Caesar dressing with raw eggs,” were held at 50 degrees or above.

“We always want an A on our report card,” spokesperson for the club Lauren Schwartz said.

Schwartz also told FOX31 Denver’s Heidi Hemmat that the club is using the poor inspections as a teaching tool.  “Any mistakes we might have made in the past we’ve corrected immediately,” Schwartz said.

The “Tavern” had no violations in a follow up inspection.

Jing

Our next stop is “Jing” on Greenwood Plaza Boulevard in Greenwood Village, where the second F of the week goes to this popular Asian Fusion restaurant.

Tri-County Health Inspectors found “several bottles of liquor in the bar had fruit flies, soda guns in the bar were soiled with mold” and hazardous food like “crab meat, fish and pork” were kept too warm.

The owner of the restaurant, Charlie Huang, told FOX 31 that he is not proud of the recent inspections.

“Last inspection was bad, it was a bad day,” Huang said.

Huang said he runs one of the cleanest eateries in Denver.

PHO 77

PHO 777 on Metzler Drive in Castle Rock also earns an F this week.

Last month, inspectors found six critical violations including “an employee…donning single use gloves without first washing his hands.”

Tri-county Health Inspectors also found “packages of shrimp and packages of raw beef were thawing at room temperature in a container on the floor.”

Inspectors said “the interior of the reach-in freezer, hood filters and the fan were soiled with grease and food debris.”

In December, inspectors found “rodent droppings…in the attic dry storage.”

Investigators also found 11 critical violations in the last two inspections.  The owner of the restaurant did not return our phone calls.

Mr. Panda Buffet

Also earning failing marks this week is Mr. Panda Buffet located at 2852 Havana Street in Aurora.  The restaurant scores an F for 11 critical violations in its last two inspections.

Inspectors said, “An employee was observed going from non-food handling to food handling activities without washing their hands.”

Also marked during the inspection, “an employee lacked knowledge” on holding potentially hazardous food at the correct temperature and “several boxes of lettuce and several uncovered plastic pails of soup were stored on the floor.”

FOX31 Denver made repeated phone calls to Mr. Panda Buffet, but our phone calls were not returned.

Bam U

Another F this week goes to Bam BU located in Greenwood Village.

This restaurant earned eight critical mistakes during its January inspection including “an employee was observed wiping their hands on a common towel,” food was stored at the wrong temperature and “raw beef was stored over noodles.”

The restaurant scored 17 critical violations in its last regular inspections. FOX31 Denver called the restaurant for comment, but the owner did not return our calls.

Dairy Queen

Our grade A for the week is the Dairy Queen on Broadway where inspectors did not find a single violation.

Owner Todd Wingert credits his employees for their perfect scores.

Wingert said, “This is a family owned business, we’ve done it since 1968 and we hire quality employees.”

A perfect score leads to a real treat.

Food safety tip from Denver Department of Environmental Health

Tip 1

Click here for more tips on how to keep your food safe.

Check Your Favorite Restaurants
Follow this link for restaurants in the city of Denver
Follow this link for restaurants covered by the Tri-County Health Department (Arapahoe, Adams and Douglas counties)

AlertMe
Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.