Fire officials: Space heater involved in fatal mobile home fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Space heater may be responsible for deadly mobile home fire. Photo: Matthew Jonas/Longmont Times-Call

DEL CAMINO, Colo. — It looks like there were two separate but related fires in a mobile home earlier this week that ended up killing one woman.

Mountain View Fire Rescue spokesman Steve Pischke said Friday a space heater may have ignited some materials in the first of two fires in the woman’s mobile home Monday.

The Longmont Times-Call reports Margaret Birdwell, 68, was alerted to the first fire by a carbon monoxide detector’s alarm. She extinguished that fire on her own.

But later, investigators believe a second fire broke out possibly as a result of smoldering material that she failed to put out from the first fire.

Rescuers pulled her from the mobile home and took her to Longmont United Hospital in critical condition. She died Thursday morning.

Read more in the Longmont Times-Call>>>

Related: Safety of popular space heaters put to the test

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.