Fire destroys Maintenance Shop on ranch in Boulder County
BOULDER COUNTY, Colo. — A large fire destroyed a maintenance shop on the property of the Sombrero Ranch on Niwot Rd. in Boulder County Friday.
Mountain View Fire Rescue spokesman Steve Pischke said the fire started when maintenance workers were trying to remove a fuel tank from a vehicle and up onto jacks. When the vehicle slipped partially off of the jacks, it caused the fuel tank to leak gas onto the floor. When gasoline came in contact with an incandescent work light, Pischke said a flash fire broke out immediately.
Pischke said the maintenance shop was a total loss, and the damage will cost an estimated $120,000.
Firefighters also worked to protect a fuel tank and a propane tank outside the structure. There were 35 firefighters from a number of agencies on scene Friday evening.
The fire happened on Niwot Rd. between U.S. Highway 287 and 95th St. Niwot Rd. was closed to traffic.AlertMe