Founded in 1851, Columbia College has been helping students advance their lives through higher education for more than 150 years. As a private, non-profit, coeducational liberal arts and sciences college, the college takes pride in its small classes, experienced faculty and quality educational programs.
Originally founded as Christian Female College, the college was the first women’s college west of the Mississippi River to be chartered by a state legislature. The college changed its name to Columbia College in 1970 when it changed from a two-year women’s college to a four-year coeducational college.
Columbia College is a nonsectarian school welcoming students of all religious denominations. However, it has retained a covenant with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) since its inception.