Colorado Springs high schooler arrested for giving pot brownie to student
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — Another student was in the hospital Thursday after ingesting a pot brownie. Only this time, authorities say the girl knew exactly what she was eating.
Even though he didn’t deceive his fellow classmate, a 14-year-old Air Academy High School student met the same end as a pair of CU Boulder students did for feeding marijuana-laced baked goods to an unassuming class almost a week ago.
He was arrested on felony charges for the distribution of marijuana.
According to the Colorado Springs Gazette, the boy gave the marijuana brownie to the girl, also 14, who ended up sickened and hospitalized. While she may not have known what she was in for, El Paso County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Jeff Kramer said the girl was not unaware of the substance she was about to ingest.
“She was not tricked or ate it unwittingly,” Kramer told the newspaper.
The boy also gave a pot brownie to another high school girl who did not proceed to eat it, according to the Gazette.
The boy was released to his parents after the arrest. The school district, hoping to send a message to students in the wake of Amendment 64, which legalized marijuana for recreational use for individuals over the age of 21, said the boy will face disciplinary action.
“The message we want to get out to kids is that (using marijuana) is now a disciplinary offense, always has been a disciplinary offense and always will be a disciplinary offense,” Larry Borland, chief of security and transportation services for District 20, told the Gazette.