Candlelight vigil to be held Friday night for Shanann Watts, daughters
Latest updates: Homicides of Shanann Watts, daughters

Students who got pot-laced brownies angry over deception

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOULDER, Colo. – It was quite the memorable Friday history class for University of Colorado at Boulder Senior Sarah Meyer.

"I was shaking a lot and really dizzy and when it didn't get any better, that's when I started freaking out," Meyer said describing how she felt after she unknowingly ate a brownie laced with THC, the active ingredient in marijuana last Friday.

Meyer said she was one of eight people who ate brownies tainted with THC. According to campus police, the brownies were brought to class to by Thomas Cunningham, 21, and Mary Elizabeth Essa, 19.

Cunningham and Essa were arrested Saturday and remain behind bars without bond at the Boulder County Jail. They face felony charges including inducing consumption of controlled substances by fraudulent means, and second degree assault.

Authorities say the two didn't reveal what was inside the brownies.

According to Ryan Huff, a spokesperson with the University of Colorado Boulder Police Department, the professor of the class and two students were hospitalized, and five other students became ill after eating the brownies.

At approximately 10:20 a.m. on Friday, police responded to the Hellems Arts and Sciences Building on campus after a professor became dizzy. Paramedics took the professor, who was going in and out of consciousness, to a local hospital to be treated.

Later that day, a mother of a student who was in the class earlier called campus police to tell them her daughter was having an anxiety attack. The student was also taken to a local hospital.

Police said that on Saturday, a second student who was hospitalized told campus police that she felt she was going to “blackout” after her class on Friday.

Investigators concluded that the students and their professor were suffering from the effects of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana.