Anschutz campus staff member accidentally fires gun
AURORA, Colo. — A staff member at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus accidentally fired a handgun in their office Friday.
According to a statement from the CU Anschutz police chief Doug Abraham, the staff member was a member of the School of Dental Medicine.
The gun went off in the staff member’s office. Two people were injured but did not have to go to the hospital, Abraham said.
The staff member did have a concealed carry permit for the weapon. Abraham did not identify the person, but said they have been put on administrative leave.
Abraham said there was never a threat to the campus community.
The University of Colorado tried to ban guns on its campuses but the Colorado State Supreme Court ruled that would be unconstitutional.
Instead CU decided to ban guns from its Boulder campus dormitories. There are no dormitories at the Anschutz campus.AlertMe