Don’t eat any romaine lettuce due to E. coli outbreak, CDC warns

Colorado dad submits obituary for 7-year-old son who is alive and well

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NEW CASTLE, Colo. -- Police in New Castle along with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office are investigating why the father of a 7-year-old boy submitted an obituary for the child who is still alive and living with his mother in metro Denver.

The Post Independent in Glenwood Springs reports that Jason McCoy said last week his son, Seth, died in early August at a Denver hospital.

McCoy told the paper Wednesday he's not so sure anymore that his son is dead.

See the obiturary here

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's office says its investigators have seen the boy and spoken to his mother, Jennifer Stretch. The 7-year-old lives with her in Arapahoe County and attends a Denver area school.

"It made me sick to my stomach.  It was shocking," she told FOX31 Denver. "It's frustrating and there's nothing illegal about having a fake obit.  Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about it."

Jason McCoy says if his son is alive, he would love to see him. He says it's been about six weeks since he last saw him.

Both New Castle Police and Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office investigators are looking into whether any crimes were committed when the boy's father reported the death.

Jennifer Stretch says she isn't sure why McCoy would claim his son had died. And how is her son? "He's a really happy kid, typical boy with guns and swords, who likes to play outside."

 

AlertMe