EVERGREEN, Colo. -- An Evergreen couple is without a home after a small fire ends up taking over their luxury log cabin.
Firefighters responded to an alarm just after 3:30 a.m. at the 26000 block of Fern Gulch Road.
Fire Department spokesperson Stacee Montague says the homeowner reported smoke was coming from the garage and was trying to put the fire out himself with a garden hose.
The home was secluded on Bear Mountain and no fire hydrant was available so crews relied on water brought in by Elk Creek and Cold Creek teams.
Firefighters had the blaze fully contained by 7 a.m. but they watched the scene closely throughout the day, their main concern being any sparks or anything smoldering that could start another wildfire.
Suzy Vannuci and her daughters Bella and Chiara were among a small group of neighbors evacuated.
Suzy describes seeing the smoke as a terrifying experience, “We're driving down our mountain and we look up and see the mountain was on fire.”
Firefighters credit the homeowners, Jerry and Jan Roberts with excellent fire mitigation efforts. The Roberts declined an interview.
Montague says, “They had cleared the ground around the house. They still had greenery but were able to make it so the fire did not spread through the grass.”
If you would like tips of how to protect your home from fire you can contact your local fire department or visit http://www.bouldercounty.org/property/forest/pages/wildfiremitigation.aspx or http://www.indianhillsfirerescue.org/fire_danger_mitigation.shtml
Related: Slideshow of Evergreen fireAlertMe