DURANGO, Colo. – A family of three was hospitalized after a large explosion at their La Plata County home Tuesday evening.
The explosion was discovered shortly after 8 p.m. when a propane company serviceman arrived at the home after receiving a call from the family about a possible gas leak.
“When we pulled up, it was just a pile of lumber,” Rich Graeber, chief of the Upper Pine Fire Protection District, told the Durango Herald. “It just took a house and reduced it to toothpicks. It was just a violent explosion.”
The victims were identified as Tim and Karen Kelley, and their daughter, Cameron.
Tim Kelley was in serious condition, and Cameron was in good condition Wednesday at Mercy Regional Medical Center, said David Bruzzese, spokesman for the hospital.
Karen was in critical but stable condition at University of Colorado Hospital in Denver.
The parents were trapped underneath 4 feet to 6 feet of debris weighing 500 to 600 pounds, Graeber said.AlertMe